Resources to prepare for the Exam DP-500: Designing and Implementing Enterprise-Scale Analytics Solutions Using Microsoft Azure and Microsoft Power BI
I have been preparing for several weeks to take the DP-500 exam and thought I would like to share with you the resources I am using.
This is the second exam that includes Power BI and in this article you will find the comparison between it and the PL-300 Exam, the skills required, study resources and the benefits of obtaining the certification.
The Exam DP-500 was released on April 19, 2022 and is the second one that includes Power BI, the main difference with the PL-300 exam is that it focuses on self-service BI while DP-500 is the enterprise data analyst certification.
Role Comparison between PL-300 and DP-500 certifications
|PL-300 Power BI Data Analyst||DP-500 Azure Enterprise Data Analyst|
Benefits of obtaining the certification
Preparing for a certification gives you the opportunity to study in an orderly way, reinforce your knowledge and validate those aspects you need to deepen. After obtaining my certifications, I have felt a strong sense of accomplishment, more confidence and it has opened new doors in my career.
I know that getting certified requires an investment of time, effort and money, but I assure you it will be well worth it. These are some of the benefits of getting certified, I hope these will motivate you to invest time and effort in getting it:
- Demonstrate your knowledge and skills.
- Grow professionally.
- New professional oportunities.
- Boost your confidence.
- Increase you salary.
- If you work as a freelancer you improve your chances of finding new clients.
- Be more influential in your work projects.
Here are some statistics provided by Microsoft on the career impact of certified IT professionals:
This exam contains the following 4 sections:
- Implement and manage a data analytics environment (25–30%)
- Query and transform data (20–25%)
- Implement and manage data models (25–30%)
- Explore and visualize data (20–25%)
|Functional Group||Main Task|
|1. Implement and administer an analytics platform|
|1.1. Govern and administer a data analytics environment|
1.2. Integrate an analytics platform into an existing IT infrastructure
1.3. Manage the analytics development lifecycle
|2. Prepare and ingest data|
|2.1. Prepare Data|
2.2. Ingest and transform data
|3. Create and optimize data models||3.1. Design and build tabular models|
3.2. Optimize enterprise-scale data models
|4. Visualize and explore data||4.1. Explore data by using Azure Synapse Analytics and Power BI|
In the following link: Exam DP-500 Skills Measured you can find a downloadable document that contains the complete list of skills tested on the exam. I recommend that you check it from time to time because it has updates.
Microsoft Resources: Here you will find the resources provided by Microsoft for exam preparation.
- Microsoft Power BI data analyst (PL-300 Exam): This is the learning path to prepare for the PL-300 exam, however, it covers some of the topics included in the DP-500 exam.
- DP-500 Microsoft learning Path: These resources were recently added to Microsoft DP-500 web page, you will see them If you scroll down to the end of the page:
- Master the basics of Azure: data fundamentals
- Level up: Azure enterprise data analyst collection on Learn.